John Yoo Notes
- New thrat sources: (p. ix)
But they aren't actually new
- Availability of knowledge and technology for WMD
- emergence of "rogue" nations
- rise of international terrorism
- Bomb making, poison gas, etc.
- "Barbary states", "Barbarians", "Indians"
- 19th century anarchists, WWI, French+Indians vs us and ours
- "The evdents of September 11 strongly suggest that [... t]he United
States must have the option to use force earlier and more
quickly than in the past." (p x)
This is certainly unproven. What force?
- p. 8 he moves away from judicial precedent and p.9 he replaces
it with executive practice. Yet he claims to be reverting to be
based (p.5) on examining text, structure and ratification of the
- p. 13 he claims that "the branches of government have established
a stable, working system of war powers." immediately after
noting that [t]he statutory efforts to control presidential
warmaking have met with little success."