These pages have not been updated in several years and are no longer up to date with our current database. Our new site can be found here.

Jim & Selma Burrows

Martin Oliver Hyer and Mary Spelman

Martin Oliver Hyer was born in about 1831 in Canada. He died in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine.

Martin Oliver Hyer married Mary Spelman.

Mary Spelman was born in Northern Ireland.

Their children were:

According to ADB:

This Heyer or possibly his father, was confined in Libby prison for much of the Civil War. His memoires were burned, probably by Katherine Heyer.

A Heyer was supposed to have been a high-born German who had to leave because he married an "Irish maid". We suspect Mary is the Irish-woman. "Spelman with only one L from Northern Ireland." We think she was born there.

Fred Leavitt was from Portland Maine. Katherine Emily Trites had a cousin Mildred Hyer. Thus there must be a brother. According to ADB "there was an Uncle Will (who never married) and an Uncle George."

We have a pair of ribbons from a G.A.R. reunion that indicate that Grampa Heyer was a member of GAR Bosworth Post 2, Portland, Me and attended a reunion there on 22-23 July 1891.

Katherine Emily Trites wrote Martin Oliver's last name as "Hyer or Heyer" on the back of his photo. We're not positive that he was Katherine Heyer's father.

According to IGI:

Annie Hyer b. 6 Apr 1870 Portland (Cumberland) ME
According to 1890 Maine Verterans Census Index:

            Hyer, Martin O*     ME Cumberland   Portland        SD 1 ED 61
            Hyer, Martin*       ME Cumberland   Portland        SD 1 ED 61
            Hyer, George W*     ME Kennebec     TogusŐ          SD 1 NH P24
            Hyer, John H        ME Andresco     Turner          SD 1 ED 27

                1) Eastern Branch National Home DVS

            National Archives film:   M123 #6
            LDS Genealogical Library: 338165

According to 1890 census veterans's schedule:

Martin Heyer alias Martin O Hyer, was a privte in Company G, 5th Maine Infantry, elisted 20 May 1861, discharge 23 Aug 1862, having served 1 year, 3 months and 3 days. He was a re-enlisted veteran. He had no disabilities listed and his address was given as 97 Portland.
According to Maine Adjutant General's Report:

Martin Hyer, age 31, resident of Portland, married, mustered into Company K, 25th infantry regiment on 4 Oct 1862 as a private. He mustered out on 10 July 1863 as a corporal.

Martin Hyer, age 32, resident of Portland, married, mustered into Company I, 30th infantry regiment on 12 January, 1864, quota of Portland. The regiment was organized between 12 December 1863 and 8 January 1864. It mustered out 20 August 1865.

John Hyer mustered into Company C, 24th regiment in 1862.


This Regiment was organized at Portland, Me., September 29th, 1862, to serve nine months, and on the 16th of October left for Washington, D.C., arriving in the city on the 18th. Having been assigned to the 3d Brigade of Casey' Division, they moved on the 26th to a camping ground on Arlington Heights, on the north side of Columbia turnpike, immediately in frot of the line of earthworks for the defence of Washington. There they remained until March 24th, 1863, continually engaged in guarding Long Bridge on both sides of the Potomac, and in building fortifications. On the 24th of March they moved to Chantilly, Va., on the Little River turnpike, and there remained engaged in picket duty until the 26th of June, 1863, when they returned to Arlington Heights. On the 30th of June they started for Maine, and arrived at Portland on the evening of July 3d. On the 10th of July the regiment was mustered out of the U. S. service by Capt. Francis Fessenden, 19th U.S. Infantry, and the men paid and finally discharged on the same day.


This Regiment was organized at Augusta, Me., from Dec. 12th, 1863, to Jan. 8th, 1864, to serve three years, and on the 7th of February left for Portland, Me., where it embarked on board steamer Merrimac for New Orleans, La., arriving in that city on the 16th. On the 18th they moved by railroad from Algiers to Brashear City, and thence by steamer up bayou Teche to Franklin, where they were assigned to the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Army Corps. From Feb. 19th to March 14th, inclusive, they remained encamped at Franklin, and on the 15th entered upon the Red River campaign. On the 8th of April they took an honorable part in the battle of Sabine Cross Roads, and on the 9th in that of Pleasant Hill. Their loss in both engagements was 11 killed, 66 wounded and 71 missing. They afterwards retreated towards Grand Ecore, which place they reached on the 11th. On the 21st of April they resumed the retreat, and on the 23d took a most prominent part in the engagement at Cane River Crossing, from which position, considered almost impregnable, they drove the enemy. Their casualties in this engagement were as follows: 2 officers and 10 enlisted men killed, 2 officers and 67 enlisted men wounded, and 7 enlisted men missing. On the 25th of April they reached Alexandria, La., and an the 13th of May continued the retreat towards the Mississippi River, which they reached on the 22d. They remained encamped at Morganzia Bend until the 2d of July, when they embarked for New Orleans, thence on the 11th for Virginia. On the 18th they reached Fortress Monroe, and were immediately sent to Deep Bottom, where they were employed on picket duty and in raising temporary earthworks. From Deep Bottom they were transported to Washington, whence they marched to Harper's Ferry, Va.

During the latter part of August and erly in September, they prticipated in the numerous movements of the Army of the Shenandoah. In September their brigade was detahed from its division, and so continued until Oct. 26th. Although in this interval the regiment was engaged in arduous and responsible duties, it failed to share the glory of Gen. Sheridan's battles and victories in September and October. On the 26th of October they rejoined their division at Cedar Creek, Va., thence on the 9th of November moved to a position between Kearnstown and Newton, and on the 30th of December went into camp at Stevenson's Depot, four miles north of Winchester.

Soon after the 1st of January, 1865, they moved and occupied Winchester, Va., where onthe 8th of January they were joined by three companies formed of the re-enlisted men and recruits of the 13th Me., Vols., and which had been assigned to this regiment by special order, issued Nov. 18th, 1864. The consolidation was completed in the month of January, under the immediate orders of Gen. Sheidan, the 30th being formed in seven companies, and retaining the field and staff officiers without change. The men of the 13th Me., were organized into a battaliaon of three companies, commanded by officers of their own regiment. The two battalions were then united, and the consolidation effected by the muster out of five commisioned officers of the 30th and a few non comissioned of both regiments. The companies of the 13th were lettered B, H, and K in the new organization. They remained at Winchester until the 10th of April, when they proceeded towards Washington, reached that city on the 21st, and on the 26th encamped in the vicinity of Fort Meigs, where they remained until the 2d of June. In the meantime they formed a part ofthe line of sentinels stationed around Washington until after the capture of the assassins of President Lincoln, and subsequently did guard duty at the Washington Arsenel, where the trial of the conspirators was being held.

On the 23d of May they took part in the grand review of the Army of the Potomac, and on the 2d of June were transferred from the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Corps, to the 2d Brigade, same Division, with which they left on the 30th for Savannah, Ga., arriving in that city on the 7th of July. They remained on duty at Savannah until the 20th of August, when the regiment was mustered out of the U. S. service by Capt. George E. Moulton, A. C. M., District of Savannah, and on which day they left for Maine, Arriving on the 24th at Portland, where the men were paid and finally discharged on the 29th.


This regiment was organized at augusta, me., in october, 1862, to serve nine months, and on the 29th of October left that place for New York. On the 31st of October they went into camp at East New York, and there remained until the 12th of January, 1863, when they embarked for New Orleans, La., arriving in that city on the 14th of February. On the 26th of February they embarked on board the steamer Eastern Queen for Bonnet Carre, forty miles above New Orleans, and thre were assigned to the 3d Brigade, 2d Division, under command of Gen. Nickerson. During their stay at that place, detachments from the regiment were engaged in active duties at different times and places. On the 21st of May they were ordered to Port Hudson, where they remained through the whole siege of that place. They were constantly on duty from the time of investment of Port Hudson until they started for home, and were often engaged with the enemy. They lost heavily from disease, not less than 184 men having died. On the 24th of July they left Port Hudson for Maine, via Cairo, Ill., arriving on the 6th of August at Augusta, where the men were mustered out and discharged the U.S. service on the 25th of the same month, by Lieut. F. E. Crossman, 17th U.S. Infantry.

Research Notes:

TO DO: Get regemental history of Maine 5th, and (Martin Heyer's) Company G.